Friday, December 1, 2023

Visit the New Haven Free Public Library (NHFPL)

Welcome!  

Today I'd like to introduce you to the New Haven Free Public Library's (NHFPL) Ives Squared Tinker Lab.  There are several branches of the NHFPL and the Tinker Lab is located at the main branch, right across from the New Haven Green.

If you live in Connecticut, in order to access the library's resources, all you need to do is bring your library card and a photo I.D. with your current address and speak to a staff member.  They'll have you fill out a short form with your contact information and get your card registered to use at the NHFPL.  Once your card is registered, you can use any of the library's services.

The Tinker Lab is very easy to access through the main entrance of the library.  You'll find it to the right through a large archway. The space is bright and open.  

One thing I love is that they have incorporated bookshelves with books on everything from crafting to coding to D.I.Y. all around the room.  


When you first enter, you'll also see that they have computers available for creating files to use on the various machines.  You'll need to use your library card to log in to the computers to work.  While each machine has it's own computer, it's preferred you use the stand alone computers for design work. This is both to free up the machines for use and also because the various machines and computers have time limits.


Something to keep in mind is that several of the machines require training for safety reasons.  These include the 3D printer, laser cutter/etcher, vinyl cutter and Carvey CNC machine. Until you take the training, your library card will not be given access to logging in at these particular machines.  You can also request a training on other offerings like the embroidery machine.  The library offers a couple of avenues for training. 

One way is to watch their online video and then come in for a twenty minute "test" with a librarian to make sure you understand how to use the machine.  They ask that you call before coming in to test so that they can make sure someone is available.  

The second way is to use their online schedule to come in for a one on one session with a librarian, who will walk you through the use of the machine and do the test all at once.  I opted to schedule an appointment since I'm a hands on learner.  The one downside to the one on one sessions is that they only open a few sessions in the schedule at a time.  They open the dates for 2 weeks out each Monday.  So, if you have a deadline (gift making perhaps), this can be tricky.  I wanted to learn how to use the laser etcher and rotary attachment, which requires two certifications, so between forgetfulness and the classes booking fast, it took me several weeks to get my card registered for both.  The great part is that I can now use the laser etcher whenever I'd like.



I've visited this makerspace several times and I've noticed there is usually someone using a 3D printer.  It's obviously a popular offering.  There is a sign above reminding folks that they are limited to one print per day.  The Cricut machine is also at this station.


While the Cricut machine can cut vinyl, the vinyl cutter is available for larger pieces.


The Carvey CNC is for, as you can imagine, carving.  As with many of the machines, you can see examples above on the wall.


There are items that have been made on the various machines on display too.

I also appreciate that there is ample signage to give people information and note the rules.  


There are four large work tables in the middle of the space.  I've seen folks hand sewing, using the embroidery machine, making collages, and more.  I will also note here that there are many labeled cabinets that I haven't explored.


One thing I didn't take think to take a picture is the great instruction guides at every station.  They are laminated and have an O ring to keep them together.  They can be found on the counter or hanging from a peg on the board near the machines.  That way, if you have forgotten a step in completing your project, you can refer to the instructions.  If that isn't enough, I have found the library staff to be very friendly and willing to help.

While I've only covered some of what the NHFPL Tinker Lab offers, I hope I've given you enough of a tour to peak your interest in visiting!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Makerspace Class Project

 Hi Everyone! If you've been following along on my blogging journey, you'll know that I started this blog as part of a course called...